Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summertime...and salad's easy...

Cheesy title. I know. Know what song I am referring to here?
Sublime :) One of my all time favorites....

Anyone else’s appetite seem to whittle when the temperatures start to soar? Or is it just me? Enter the salad. I sorta have a love/hate relationship with salads. See, they are the perfect quick meal: toss some lettuce in a bowl, add your favorite toppings, mix some dressing in….instant meal. Other times the thought of “rabbit food”, as it is sometimes referred to by my peers, for a meal leaves me feeling like a chump. Seriously, what kind of person wants to eat foliage for their meal?

Well, when it looks like this, I’d have to answer, this person right here!



Spinach, fruit & nut salad w/Pomegranate vinaigrette (so simple~this is hardly a recipe)
Serves 1

Spinach
Strawberries, sliced
Raspberries
Blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Nut/seed of choice (I chose sunflower seeds because i’ve been obsessed with them lately!)

Dressing
3 T pomegranate red wine vinegar
1 T EVOO
1 t agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
LOTS of cracked black pepper (it really makes the difference)

In a bowl combine dressing ingredients & whisk until blended (normally you would whisk while you add your EVOO but I can’t be bothered to do that most days). Add spinach, toss to coat. Add fruit, sunflower seeds & cheese. Eat.

And if eating “rabbit food” leaves me room to eat one (or 10) of these, bring it on :)

What salad combo are you loving lately??

3 comments:

  1. mmm I LOVE berries in salad! :) I would say I'm loving the combo my mom's been putting together which is a mixture of field greens, butter lettuce, grapes, avocado, cucumber, carrots, and grape tomatoes :)

    Hope you're having a wonderful weekend Jen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food Berries are my fave addition :) I need to give grapes a chance in my salad, that's one of those things that doesn't scream salad to me lol

    I love butter lettuce! Especially as a "wrap". Don't know why i've never had it in salad before lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, vibrant salad!
    I get some ideas from raw foodists Dara Dubinet (http://www.youtube.com/user/daradubinet) and Dan McDonald (http://www.youtube.com/user/liferegenerator). I'm not trying to go 100% raw or anything but I turn to their videos for ideas so I can eat more fresh vegetables (and avoid slaving over a hot stove in this heat!).

    ReplyDelete